Georgia DOT Awards $127M in Construction Contracts for February
Tuesday, March 24th, 2020
Georgia Department of Transportation (Georgia DOT) awarded 22 construction contracts for statewide transportation projects totaling $127,696,630.
The largest single investment, worth approximately $27.3 million, was awarded to Reames and Son Construction Company, Inc. for a widening and interchange reconstruction and bridge building project in Lowndes County. The company will widen and reconstruct 0.597 mile of roadway on Bellville Road (County Road 274) at Interstate 75/State Route 401; as well as construct a bridge with approaches on Interstate 75/State Route 401. The proposed bridge will consist of a 20-foot lane, a six-foot raised median, and two five-foot sidewalks.
The second largest contract, $23.9 million, was awarded to C. W. Matthews Contracting Company, Inc. to mill, inlay and resurface 13.02 miles of roadway on Interstate 75/State Route 401. The project begins north of State Route 42 to south of I-75/State Route 401 northbound entrance ramp 201 in Butts, Lamar and Monroe counties.
C. W. Matthews Contracting Company, Inc. was also awarded a $19 million contract to mill and resurface 17.98 miles of roadway on Interstate 85/State Route 403, from north of State Route 63 to south of State Route 17 in Banks and Franklin counties.
$22.4 million, was awarded to Reeves Construction Company to mill, resurface 15.73 miles of roadway on Interstate 75/State Route 401 from south of State Route 26 to State Route 96 in Houston and Peach counties.
The resurfacing contracts above were awarded to enhance and preserve existing pavement, decreasing the formation of potholes and cracks in areas of the roadway where pavement has deteriorated. Georgia DOT maintenance offices conduct Pavement Condition Evaluation System (PACES) assessments to monitor pavement conditions on routes maintained by the department.
The above contracts, along with seven other resurfacing contracts, represent 63 percent or $80.4 million of the awarded funds. The remaining 37 percent of awarded funds, or approximately $19.8 million, is allotted for bridge construction and safety projects at various locations throughout the state.
Three of the four safety contracts awarded will restripe and upgrade 27.10 miles of pavement markings on various roadway on Interstate 20/State Route 402, Interstate 85/State Route 411 and Interstate 16/State Route 112. Construction will take place in DeKalb, Fulton, Muscogee and Twiggs counties. These projects will improve the current striping reflectivity on the roadway, making it safer for drivers. The final safety contract will consist of renewing or advance warning signs and upgrade current pavement markings at approximately 52 CSX railroad crossings in Bartow and Polk counties.
Project bids were received on February 21, and contracts were awarded to the lowest qualified bidders on March 6. The February awards bring the total construction contracts for Fiscal Year 2020 to $393 million. Fiscal Year 2020 began July 1, 2019.
Information on project schedules, potential lane closures and detours will be available in advance of activities taking place and will continue throughout the construction phase.